February 1

The Big Reading Post!

We asked students and teachers to share with us their favorite book from their home country and the book they are currently reading now. Which book will you choose for your next reading adventure?
Emilia, 6th Grade:
My favorite book is The Hunger Games Catching Fire
Here is the summary. Hope you like it:
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark has just won the 74 hunger games, an annual event in which each district in Panem sends one female and one male out to fight to their death while being televised for the rich people to enjoy. Katniss and Peeta are the only ones left. They plan to threaten President. Snow that they are gonna kill them selves because their love is too strong for any of them to kill each other. They are both the victors and that is where all the trouble begins…
Katniss and Peeta must go on what is known as the Victor’s Tour, where they must visit all the districts. But before leaving, Katniss is visited by President Snow who fears that Katniss defied him a year ago during the games when she chose to die with Peeta. The double win was due to their love for each other. She has to convince him that they are truly in love, otherwise her close ones are in danger. But Snow’s plans have only just begun, and when the 75th annual Games begins, Katniss’s life will change for ever.

Bernardo, 6th Grade:
My Favorite Book
            I really love reading, and there are many books that I really enjoy. However, if I had to pick only one book from only one series, I would probably choose Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the fourth book from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. It is about Harry Potter’s fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, when he is sorted into a competition between three wizarding schools, in which one 17 year-old student from each is drawn to complete three extremely difficult tasks. However, the only problem is: Harry is 14, and he didn’t put his name in the draw. Whoever did it, did not do it for a good reason, but Harry and his friends are too preoccupied with Harry’s tasks for the tournament, and in the end, he will have to face his biggest enemy again. I like this book so much because of the incredibly interesting way it was written, with many different characters that link with each other and make the small pieces of information that are gathered along the story fit together and connect with Harry’s past adventures. If you are looking for a greatly interesting series involving adventure and magic, the Harry Potter book series is the perfect one for you, just like it is for me.

Christian, 11th Grade: 
My favorite book is Cyrano de Bergerac. It is my favorite book because the story in it is overall interesting. It is about a Cyrano which is a french swordsman and poet who was in love with Roxanne. Throughout the story he improvises some poems according to the situation that make the story interesting and connects you to it.

Willem, 11th Grade:
I choose The Rule Of 3 is my favorite book right now. The book is about an apocalypse world where one day all the energy fell out and the world is left with nobody to help. There is one neighborhood where the people that life there are going to try to survive with any kind of danger at their doorstep.

Gabriela, 7th Grade: 
My favorite book is a Brazilian book. The book that I chose is not just a book, but four; the story is really good, and a lot of people liked it, so the author wrote four books. The books are called “Fazendo o meu filme” and the American version that just came out is called Shooting My Life’s Script. It talks about a girl called Fani, she is a really shy girl, but addicted to movies and the way they make them; her dream is to be a professional movie director. Her best friends are called Gabi and Leo, and they are really important in the books. Basicly, they talk about Fani’s life and her career doing what she likes; but there are a lot of conflicts in it too, and it makes the books even more interesting.

Untitled

MK, 7th Grade:
my favorite book Attacks Titan. this is a comic book and it’s really famous in japan and Korea. also in USA. this book got famous became of animation and movie. I did not know about this book before I watched the animation. this book is about a titan and human. people build the wall to get away from titan. the wall blocked titan from people but one-day 50m titan break the wall and other titian get into that whole. they start eating a human. there is a soldier who killed titan. also the main character can turn titan so he helps human from titan. there are more people that can turn titan but they help titan. there is a lot of episode and book. I only read season one because I want to watch season 2 animation first. they are making animation right now.
61YdRORYhnL._SY349_BO1,204,203,200_

Solal, 6th Grade:
My favorite French book is Tobie Lonless. This book is about a boy that is 2 mm tall. He lives on a tree. A lot of people in the tree want to catch him and his family because his father invented a really powerful mini robot. Every wants that robots so they can dig halls in the tree. The things that they didn’t realized is that they are destroying the tree.
image1

Adriana, 5th grade:
Favorite book from Brazil: This boy that was called Dan and he loves adventure. One day he wanted to go to Amazon forest to take an adventure. When Dan gets there and he starts to walk he feels something. When Dan look down had a billion of spiders coming up his leg. When some days passed Dan was still alive but with no water food nothing. Do you think Dan is going to survive?

Untitled

Currently reading: Far From Home, The Sisters of Street Child. Author: Berlie Doherty

Josh, 5th grade:
This is my favourite series of book. It is called the Duke of the Mount Deer, it is a Chinese martial arts fiction with history integrated. It is written by a famous Chinese author named Louis Cha. I like this book because it is mixed with real Chinese history.

Untitled

Joe, 2nd grade:
These are my favorite books and the book that I’m reading now.
Favorite book from Hong Kong:

This book is about an adult in a magic show but the magician’s master is an bad guy, and the bad guy is a pig.Then, the adult attacked the pig but suddenly a God used rope tied up the pig and took it to heaven or something.

Untitled

Currently reading:
Untitled Right now, I’m reading Magic Tree House Hurry Up Houdini

Gui, 4th grade:
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, in Portuguese
Summary: A killer just got out of Azkaban, and he tries to get Harry. Some of the dementors are guarding Hogwarts to protect Harry. Harry discover that Sirius Black the killer, was his godfather, and was not a killer. He saves a hippogriff life, helping his friend. He discover new things, and live another adventure.

Untitled

Eloi, 7th grade:
My book is from France is called: Vendredi* ou la vie sauvage by Michel Tournier. Its about a man called Robinson that is on boat. In the morning of a stormy day the boat crashed and Robinson was the only person that survive. He tries to adapted to the wild life and meets a man called “Vendredi*” that was trying to escape from his village. Then they are best friend and have a lot of fun. One day a boat arrive on the island and robinson discover how much he has been on this island. When the boat left the island Vendredi* left with them he was so curious about this boat, but a slave that was working on the boat escaped at the same time and he became Robinson best friend and he called him Dimanche** because it’s the day of party and happiness.
*Translated from french, means Friday
**Translated from french, means Sunday

Untitled

I’m am currently reading Percevale by Chretiens de Troyes

Dameli, 5th grade:
My favorite story from my country is called Aldar Kose. The story is about a guy who is really smart, for example like Sherlock Holmes. He could literally read from someone’s mind. In the story he lies to really rich and selfish Bai(reach person in kazak). He tells Bai that if you going to have coat with holes, it’s better because cold going to come into the coat, and out of the coat. He lies to the Bai, and takes Bai’s good and expensive coat, and gives him coat with holes.

Untitled

The book that I’m reading right now is Wonder by R.J Palacio

Julia, 8th grade:
My favorite book from The Netherlands is called Spiegelmeisje I guess I would translate it as ‘the girl in the mirror’ because ‘spiegel’ means mirror and ‘meisje’ means girl.
This is a thriller by Tanneke Wigersma.

Untitled

It is about a girl named Keet (Pronounced as ‘Kate’). Kate just moved and now she’s living in a big house in the woods together with her father. Her house used to be an orphanage a long time ago. There is no running water or electricity. Keet has her own room, and she loves it. But when she looks in the mirror, she doesn’t see herself, but a little girl with blonde hair. And when she goes to bed, she hears strange noises and sees ghosts. Keet wants to know what is going on and when her father leaves she examines the house by herself, but when she finds out what really happened, she doesn’t believe what she is seeing…

I’m currently reading an English book called The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins.

Enzo, 6th grade:
I don’t have a favorite book but I do have a series that I’ve read since I was in 2nd grade. That series is Captain Underpants. I know it’s a children’s book and not advanced for me, but I just love how the writer (Dav Pilkey) makes jokes and his characters personalities are so out of this world.

Basically what the series is about is, Harold and George create a super-human called “Captain Underpants” which is actually their principal (Mr.Krupp). And guess what? The hero wears a underpants and a red cape only. They hypnotised him to be Captain Underpants because in their comics that they make, there is a Superhero called Captain Underpants so they thought it would be funny to make their principal a superhero. Eventually in one of their adventures Captain Underpants drinks a super juice that gives him superpowers. After that day George, Harold and Captain America stop crime, evil scientists and aliens.

The book I’m currently reading for pleasure is When you reach me by Rebecca Stead.

Eunice, 10th Grade:
My favorite Chinese book is Journey to the West. This book talks a mythology that a Buddhist monk in Tang dynasty who named Tang Sanzang go for a pilgrimage with his three disciples in order to obtain sacred texts. His three disciples are Sun Wukong, Zhu Bajie and Sha Wujing. Sun WuKong is a monkey king who is born from a stone egg that forms from an ancient rock created by the coupling of Heaven and Earth. Zhu Bajie is a pig who was a god in the heaven and he was banished to go to the mortal world because of some faults. And Sha Wujing is a general in the heaven and he was banished to the mortal world because he accidentally smashed a crystal goblet belonging to the Queen. Therefore, those three people followed Tang Sanzang to go West to acquire Buddhist scriptures. They suffered eighty-one trials during the journey and they finally arrived the destination.

I am reading a Chinese book which named Fortress Besieged currently and the author is Qian Zhongshu.

Christy, 10th Grade:
My favorite book is 从你的全世界路过. It is a book that contains a series of short stories. The book contains a variety of stories. The author uses his perspective to describe his life and stories happen around him.  The book that I am currently reading is 我长得丑,你们都得让着我.

Simon, 10th Grade:
My favorite book from my country is called Journey to the West, it is written in Chinese by Wu Cheng’en. This book talked about a group of four, including a monkey, a pig, and two human, going to the west to find the books that can save the world. Their leader is a monk that is a normal person, but the rest three all have super natural abilities. The monkey can turn into anything he wanted to be, and also has a great weapon called Jin Gu Bang, which can turn big or small as he wanted to. The pig is not as good as the monkey, he can also turn himself into other stuff but not everything, and he can fight people too. The person who is not the leader can fight people, and carry heavy stuff. They met a lot of monsters on the way to the west, and eventually they beat all of them. They found those books, turned to immortals, and saved the world at last. 

西游记

The book I am currently reading in Chinese is called Ao Shi Jiu Chong Tian, and the author is an internet writer.
Justin, 7th Grade:
One of my favorite book of all time is a book by Bear Grylls called Mud, Sweat and Tears“. The reason I like this book is because of the adventures Bear Grylls experienced. And most of his adventures are off the book. For example climbing up to one of the tallest library in England, adventure in a snow forest with his father when he’s only 6, and studying in a England Private School. This book doesn’t just reveal his journeys before the shows he host, it also reveals who he is before become a adult.

The language and the twist in the book is surprisingly better than I ever expected. Because after all, surviving in the wild doesn’t really train your writing skills. The plot twist and the vocabulary sound like it comes from a experienced writer.
unnamed
Maya, 4th Grade:
My favorite book in my home country is, Momotaro.(Peach boy)
Momotaro is about, when grandma was cleaning the shirt and another stuff at the river, the BIG BIG BIG peach came over to grandma. She bringed the peach to home, and chopped the peach. When she chopped the peach, the baby boy came out. When he got older, he when to kill Ogre.
The book I’m reading right now is, Tapper Twins Go To War With Each Other. It’s about the twins fight over over and again.
Isabella, 4th Grade:
The book I am reading now:
Soccer Show Off
Author: Jake Maddox
My favorite book in Norway is Barna I Bakkebygrenda It is about 7 kids that lives in Bakkebygrenda. They play together all the time.And some times they are really crazy. The story takes place in a typical small town in Norway. The kids lives really close to each other. And they just run around and play together. The parents never really watch them. They also have a lot of animals there. The kids are all different ages, and they still play together.
image1 (1)
Pasha, 7th Grade:
My favorite books are Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogy. The reason why I chose a few books is because that all of them are related in the story. Both Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were written by the same author named J. R. R. Tolkien. This is how I came to know these books. In the summer of 2012, My friend gave me a lego set called Lord of the Rings. Then in the following year, my brother introduced me to a set of movies called Lord of the Rings. The moment i started watching these movies, I loved them. I started researching about the movies after I watched them. I got so interested in them that I wanted to by the books and read them.  In January 2014, I got 3 Lord of the Rings books and a Hobbit book. First I read the Hobbit. So what is Hobbit? Hobbit is a thrilling fairy tale about a wizard, Hobbit ( a small creature that looks like a dwarf) named Bilbo Baggins, and a company of thirteen dwarves who are trying to claim back their home in the mountains, which was taken by a dragon over 5 decades before the story began. Along the way the company encountered creatures such as elves, goblins, orcs, and three enormous trolls. The story takes place in the land called Middle Earth. In this story, Hobbit,  Bilbo finds a magic ring that turned the owner of it invisible. Not only did this ring play a role in the Hobbit, but also it played a huge role in the sequels to the Hobbit (Lord of The Rings trilogy). It was created by Ancient dark lord named Sauron who is the main antagonist in Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I loved reading the Hobbit. It took me about 3 months to finish reading this it.Then I immediately started reading Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This book is a sequel to the Hobbit. It is also a thrilling fairy tale. This is first part of Lord of The Rings trilogy. Then I started reading the second Lord Of The Rings book. This Lord of The Rings book is called The Two Towers. Then I started reading the third chapter of Lord of the Rings trilogy on my fourteenth birthday (October 26, 2015). I am currently reading this book . Lord of The Rings takes place 60 years after the Hobbit. These books were about a dark lord known as Sauron who tries to destroy middle earth if he had this ring. The main character in Lord Of the Rings trilogy is Frodo Baggins. He is a nephew of Bilbo Baggins. Frodo set out to destroy the one ring before Sauron could seize it and destroy middle Earth. Frodo set out on this adventure with 8 other companions. But so far I like the book. These books that I’ve mentioned are all very hard to read for people who have not watched the movies. These books are recommended for high school. The reason why I like these books is because I like scary stories. I also liked these books because I enjoyed watching the movies.
Untitled
Lisa, 2nd Grade:
My 3 favorite books from Japan:
1.This book is about the lizard who lost his tail.
Untitled
  1. This book is about a rabbit who almost cook the ghost.

Untitled

1. This book is about a hero fox who is taking school kids to the vampires building.

Untitled

Right now I am reading a Henry And Mudge and the Long Weekend.

Anouk, 4th Grade:
The name of the book is: Avale,Léonardichon!
It is about a boy who don’t want to swallow.When he eat he don’t swallow. The mom calls a dentist. The boy have ginormous cheeks because of the food that he don’t swallow.With he’s ginormous cheeks he cant do anything like he cane float on the water without any floaters.
The book that I’m reading right know is called: Ma Petite Sear et Moi.

Julia, 3rd Grade:
The story is about a little girl named Monica. Monica has two friends named Cebolinha and Cascao and they are always bullyng her. But she is very strong and gets her stuf animal rabit named Sansao and throws it on them when she is angry. Monica has also a friend called Magali. She eats very much but never gets chubby. She loves to eat watermelon. They have many adventures together. Almost every day.

Untitled

What are Dwight teachers reading now? What are their favorite books from their home countries? 
Ms. Kearns: The book I’m reading now is Dime Quien Soy by Julia Navarro

Ms. Sharik: I am reading The Story of a New Name, the second book in The Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante

Ms. Barnett: I’m reading Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling.
My favorite books from America are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith and We the Living by Ayn Rand. My favorite book from Italy is The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino.

Ms. Mas: What Masie Knew By Henry James

Ms. Rubenstein: I am currently reading Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.

Ms. Giraldo: L’amica Geniale By Elena Ferrante

Ms. Hecker: At The Water’s Edge by Sara Gruen

Mr. Moran: I am currently reading The World Without Us By Alan Weisman.

Ms. Singer-Zhou: What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Eisenberg Murkoff and Sharon Mazel and A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carre

Ms. Verbitchi: The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Mr. Cunningham: On the Map by Simon Garfield and Nobody Move by Denis Johnson

Ms. Fries: Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt. Recommended by an 11th grader in my  math studies class, Renne!

Ms. Cardwell: I’m currently reading Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique.  My favorite book from my home country is Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

Ms. Gibbons: The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog by Bruce D. Perry, M.D., Ph.D. and Maia Szalavitz

Ms. Schoenfeld: I am reading Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker

Ms. Fussell: Just Kids by Patti Smith

Mr.Theisen: Thank You For Your Service by David Finkel (non-fiction) and My Brilliant Friend by Elana Ferrante (fiction)

Mr. Beddows: I am reading a biography called The Racer: Life on the Road as a Pro Cyclist by David Millar

Mr. Bergman: I am currently reading M Train by Patti Smith. My favorite book by an author from my home country is The Endless Short Story, by Ronald Sukenick

Mr. Gonzales: I am reading Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov.

Mr. Farnsworth: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Mr. Stabb: Today we’ll finish up Imperialism by Vern Cleary and tomorrow we start China by Andrea Pelleschi.

Mr. Hansen: 1. Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad 2. The United States Constitution: A Graphic Novel by Jonathan Hennessy 3. The Robber Bridegroom by Eudora Welty

Ms. Benfante: The Whole30 by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig

Posted February 1, 2016 by rsinger in category Uncategorized