My Thanksgiving Break

Thanksgiving is a national holiday celebrated in the United States, which is on the fourth Thursday of November. It was originally celebrated as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year (history.com). On that day, people will have a big dinner and eat turkey, which is a uniquely American bird. There are also several huge celebrations for the holiday, such as Macy’s thanksgiving day parade in Manhattan, New York. Black Friday is also an iconic event during the holiday, that stores will have big sales .

This was my third Thanksgiving in the United States. Since I had a five-days break, I went to Chicago with my sister. It was my first time been to the city and it was raining everyday since we have been there. Chicago was a large city in the states, and like New York, it was a convenient and developed place.  However, since my sister and I were too lazy ,we spent most of our time in the hotel to watching TV series on lap top.  Cloud Gate was the only place we have visited and we also have watched two movies there.

During this tour, there was one event that was impressive to me. It was the huge protest on the Black Friday.  Many people stood on the street, in front of numbers of huge stores, such as Nike, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc, and stopped people from going into the stores. This protest was because of the shooting and many of them held up banners, saying ” I am a man” or ” I am a woman”. Their sound was too loud, so that I could still hear them after I want back to the hotel, which was near the main shopping street.  It was impressive to me because I have near saw protest before, and I thought they were brave to do that in such an important day.

Thanksgiving break was a really good time for me to take a break from the heavy school work. However, having five days off was too short for me and  I was not satisfied because of that. I still had many homework assignments during the break and would have a lot more to do after the break. The first trimester went so fast and the second trimester is going to start. It was only few weeks till Christmas. Hope it will coming soon!