Harlem Renaissance reflection with grammar

We had a “field trip” on Friday afternoon, and it was about the Harlem Renaissance. Harlem Renaissance was a movement in New York, which spread the culture, literature, and the music of African Americans.  There was a special guest from the Apollo Theater visited us, and brought us so much fan. He started the workshop with some music, and a few introductions about those musicians. He radiated an infectious enthusiasm and ran a wonderful workshop. My favorite part of the workshop was that we had a chance to make up our own “song”. We randomly divided in to a few different groups, and after that we choose the topic of the song from some options that we came up before. Since I didn’t know any of the members in my team, I was a little nervous to work with them at first. However, everything was great, and it proved that I worried too much. Before started composing our own “song”, we created our character first. We came up with many different ideas, but we could think much about the feeling of our character. After many discussions and a little help from the teacher, we finally completed our design of the character, and started to compose our “song”. Since it was our first time to do that, it was a great challenge for us to create the rhyme and the lyric by ourselves. We had a few ideas, and after many changes, we finished our “song”, and performed to the rest of the groups. Even though it was a difficult task, it was a special and great experience for me. Through this workshop I’ve learned many things, like the pride that those African Americans had during 1960’s, and the way they used art to express themselves. I’ve learned that in history there was a community at Upper West Side was strive to change their identity, and to spread their culture. I’ve learned that many things could happen at same time period, like the war in Vietnam, the Harlem Renaissance, and the fight for Civil Rights.